When you decide to sell your Plainfield area home, it often makes financial sense to make some home improvements in order to get top dollar for your property. Knowing which improvements to make to attract buyers and get the most back for your investment requires some research.
Remodeling magazine released their 2017 Cost Vs. Value Report, which analyzes the national, regional, and local costs and return on investment (ROI) for 29 common home improvement projects. The report found that, on average, these projects returned 64.3 cents on the dollar in resale value for sellers.
Key Findings in National Trends:
- Minor changes and low-ticket improvements have the best ROI.
- Projects that boost curb appeal have larger ROI than interior improvements.
- Total replacements on items such as windows and doors are a good investment.
- Additions to the home, excluding decks, have a low percentage return.
- Buyers are looking for updated kitchens and bathrooms. Sellers should focus on mid-range projects in these rooms as upscale ones do not have a good return.
While these national trends matter, they can be un beneficial for each individual homeowner. The main factor that impacts the ROI of home improvement projects is Location! Check out the projects that made the report’s top ten for the Chicago metro and suburban areas.
If you are looking to make improvements to your home before Selling, work with Plainfield’s Top Realtor! We can give you more information about our local area and what we have seen give the most return in value.